2016 HAGERTY SPRING THAW CLASSIC CAR ADVENTURE
Entry and Event Information
April 29th – May 1st, 2016
2016 Entry Form (Coming Jan 2016)
2016 Supplementary Regulation (Coming Jan 2016) <—- PLEASE READ IN FULL
2016 Vehicle Inspection Form
2016 Entry List
Entry for the 2016 Hagerty Spring Thaw will open in early January, 2016.
Members of our B.C. email list get advanced notice of the exact date for opening of the 2016 Spring Thaw entries. Sign up to our BC mailing list here: The British Columbia-Area mailing list (we send less then 12 emails a year, no spamming of your mailbox will occur!)
The Hagerty Spring Thaw is a budget-minded driving adventure through British Columbia for pre-1979 touring and sportscars. This un-scored, non-competitive event takes place entirely within the province of British Columbia and consists of approximately 1200km of driving over three days. The Spring Thaw is organized by Squamish Classic Car Adventures using straight-forward route instructions.
The Hagerty Spring Thaw will start on Friday, April 29th, 2016 and finish on Sunday, May 1st, 2016. Locations for the start and finish will be updated prior to the opening of entries. To ensure an “adventure”, the route will remain secret until competitors receive their entry packages at registration. Way-finding instructions will be detailed and clear, and will not require any calculations or rally knowledge. The event consists of 100% paved roads, with some mountainous terrain, and driving is scheduled during daylight hours. Car wash facilities are available at each overnight stop, though our definition of ‘facilities’ is rather loose. The coin-op down the road may suffice!
Early January, 2015
- Entry forms released. Entry opens at 10am
- Seventy (70) entries accepted on first-come, first-served basis. No additional spaces will be release beyond 70 cars. Successful applicant’s cheques will be deposited on or after January 23rd.
- Of the seventy entries, twenty-five (25) will be reserved for entries arriving by traditional mail or courier.
- Guests dropping off their entry in person may include one (1) additional entry to their own.
Thursday, April 28th, 2016
7:30pm (approx) The traditional ‘unorganized’, ‘unofficial’, dinner for anyone arriving early from out of town. Details TBD as we get closer to our start.
Friday, April 29th, 2016
9:00-10:00 Registration and Tech Open (Location TBD)
10:15 Driver’s Meeting & Event Introductions (Mandatory attendance, all participants)
10:30 Depart Start
Sunday, May 1st, 2016
14:00-15:30 Approximate finish time
Vehicle Acceptance & Required Equipment
The Hagerty Spring Thaw is open to sport, touring and classic cars from 1979 and earlier. Sorry, no trucks or motorcycles. Think you’ve got a unique car that fits, but doesn’t meet the age category? Check out our FAQ section, which has information on entering non-conforming vehicles. We’ve had some great ‘1979-ish’ cars and trucks join us on previous events! All vehicles must meet legal roadworthiness standards, and generally be ready for a long weekend of driving through mountains and winding roads.
A pre-event tech inspection will check for the following mandatory items:
– Minimum of one roadside warning triangle (30cm or larger per side)
– Proof of current insurance & Driver’s Licenses.
Highly recommended equipment includes a tow strap, tool kit, booster cables, fire extinguisher, snacks and water.
New for 2016
- All entrants must submit a vehicle tech inspection form. The vehicle tech inspection form is intended to guide you through an inspection appropriate for taking a classic car on a 3-day adventure through the mountains. The form can be completed by your mechanic, a mechanically minded friend or the entrant. The important point is that each item is actually inspected, and not just assumed to be ‘okay’. To complete the inspection you will need to take each of the wheels off to inspect the brakes and suspension components. A failure on any portion of the form does not bar you from entry, it simply means you need to talk to the organizers. We’re happy to let you join us if you’ve failed a section (or sections) of the form, but we want to ensure we’re all aware of the issues.
- A mandatory spares list has been created. After eight years of events, we’ve got a pretty strong impression of the common failure points. The combination of the inspection form, and our spare parts list, should ensure we get 99% of our entrants to the finish line. The spare parts list we’ve chosen will fit in the space of a small lunch bag, so we’re pretty sure all of our entrants can make the space.
- Fuel Pump – A universal electric pump is preferred. Something which can be wired up into your engine bay as a temporary measure to keep you going. Check your fuel-pressure requirement, and buy a pump which is as close as you can get.
- Fuel Lines & Wire – Equip your pump with some lines, and some wire, so we can get you going at the side of the road!
- Points & Condensor – Even if you use electronic ignition like Pertronix, having a set of points and a condensor could mean the difference between driving or a tow-truck.
- Timing Instruction Sheet – You need to have a sheet that shows how your timing is set, and what the values are. You might photocopy the repair manual, or perhaps have your mechanic write down the details. Important things to know are where you can find the timing readings on your engine, and what to set the following at: a) points gap, b) static timing, c) max advance. With two of those three values, we can get almost anything running.
- Ignition Coil – These never fail, unless you’re on a CCA event in the middle of nowhere. Good insurance is carrying a spare one, then you’ll never need it.
- Spare Nuts & Bolts – Have a ziploc baggie of the commonly used sizes on your car. 1200km has a strange way of vibrating things loose, and chances of someone having the size you need are slim. Pack a few spares.
Decals & Event Graphics
As part of the event registration package, entrants will be issued with two Hagerty Spring Thaw number decals – one for each side of the car. We will be using high quality removable vinyl to ensure that they will come off your car with the least amount of fuss.
The organizers of the Spring Thaw Classic Car Adventure will cover the room fee and taxes for Friday and Saturday nights at the event. Each team will receive a standard double-bed room with two occupants per room, unless otherwise requested on the entry form. Additional rooms, upgrades and special requests will be accommodated as possible, with all additional charges being the responsibility of the entrant in question. Please indicate on the entry form any specific needs you may have. A credit card for each team will be required upon check-in at each hotel as a damage deposit, and for incidentals. The organizers will not provide damage deposit coverage for any participants of the event.
Procedure for Registration
Please download and complete the PDF Entry Application form. Once complete, print the form and mail it to the Registrar’s address below along with a cheque for the full amount.
Entries will be considered on a “first come, first serve” basis. Vehicles which don’t technically meet the age or type requirements are encouraged to use page two creatively. Each year we’ve allowed a few entries outside our criteria, so there is hope! Please see “The Delorean Rule” in the supp regs if your vehicle is outside of the standard rules.
Base Entry Fee: $500.00 CDN
GST (tax): $ 25.00 CDN
Total Entry: $525.00 CDN or $________ USD
USD Entry Rate will be updated in January 2016
Entry deadline, March 1st, or when all spaces are filled.
Cheques and money orders are payable to: “Squamish Classic Car Adventures”
Registrar Address (send entries here):
Classic Car Adventures
#32-1200 Edgewater Dr
Canada V8B 0E7
In an effort to keep the entire adventure and group close-knit, we are booking hotel rooms for all participants of the event. As such, we find ourselves bound by unique cancellation issues.
Cancellation before March 15th
Cancellation of your participation in the event before March 15th will result in a full refund.
Cancellation between March 16th and April 1st
Cancellation of your participation on or after March 16th, and before April 1st, will result in a $130 refund unless we can fill your hotel room with another wait-list entry. In this case we will refund your full entry. Any cancellations will be filled in the order received.
Cancellations after April 1st
Cancellation of your participation after April 1st will result a refund of $130.